Freequently Asked Question
Which is better: marble or porcelain slabs? +
Like other building materials, marble and porcelain slabs have unique properties. These include both advantages and disadvantages. Before installing either, pay attention to your personal needs and do research, or ask the friendly staff at BMI.
Porcelain slabs are rated according to the Porcelain Enamel Institute (PEI) scale. This rating will help you determine their strength and where to install them. For instance, a PEI rating of 4 or 5 means the tiles are suitable for both home and business traffic. Any tiles rated below 2 should be installed on walls, not in high-traffic areas like floors.
Can marble be used as a kitchen countertop? +
Marble is a durable natural stone and popular kitchen countertop material. It is available in a variety of colours and unique patterns. Since marble is so varied in terms of its veins, colours, and designs, it suits a wide range of decor styles.
However, even though marble is a resistant material, it is softer than granite. Periodic sealing of your marble countertops will keep them looking good for years to come. Ask our experts to help you understand how best to preserve your marble.
Is quartz similar to quartzite? +
Even though they almost sound the same, quartzite and quartz are very different materials. The former is quarried natural stone; the latter is artificially made using ground quartz and engineered binding resins.
So, while quartz is available in a range of colours, quartzite offers subtle undertones. Quartzite is incredibly durable and perfect for high-traffic areas. Quartz is a great choice for kitchen and bathroom countertops.
Why install natural stone? +
Natural stones are truly one of a kind. Whether you choose marble or granite, investing in them guarantees decades of use and minimal maintenance.
That being said, what you choose to install is a personal decision that should be carefully considered. There are finely-engineered artificial equivalents that are just as suited for a wide variety of spaces. Understand your needs and budget expectations before deciding on the option that best suits your home.
What makes Italstone different? +
Italstone is engineered for increased resistance to wear and temperature. Italstone ceramic is structurally simple, which makes it hygienic and nonporous. Additionally, it resists acidic and alkaline substances, making it perfectly safe to use without fear of damage.
Since it can withstand both high and low temperatures and requires no extra maintenance, it can be installed for both indoor and outdoor projects. Polished Italstone offers a nice gloss, while the matte variety looks more natural and hides wear and tear more effectively.
If you are looking to install tiles that stand the test of time, Italstone ceramics are worth considering. Get in touch with us to learn more about this product.
How do you differentiate between floor and wall tiles? +
Floor and wall tiles are built for different purposes, so are not interchangeable. Beyond thickness and prices, their main difference lies in their capacity to withstand pressure.
Wall tiles are generally thin and cannot withstand much pressure. This makes them unsuitable for floors which face a great amount of pressure and friction daily through activities such as walking, running, and moving furniture. Floor tiles better resist daily wear and tear, and are designed to resist the impact of friction.
What types of marble are offered at BMI? +
Better Marble Import specializes in importing the finest marble from all over the world. We offer high-quality Calacatta, Bianco Carrara, Arbescato and Statuario marble. Each type is special and different. We understand current market trends to bring you the best marble at competitive prices. Get in touch with us to learn more about our products.
Is granite the best option for my kitchen countertop? +
There are several reasons that make granite one of the top contenders for kitchen countertops.
- Granite is a completely natural stone. No two pieces look alike and they are available in a wide range of colours and patterns. So, you are guaranteed to find something distinctive and original.
- Granite is an incredibly durable and long-lasting material that adds to the resale value of your home.
- Granite is ideal for both indoor and outdoor kitchens, as it is resistant to general wear and tear, as well as high temperatures.
- Since granite is water-resistant, exposure to humidity does not damage its surface
How do you maintain natural stone floors? +
Floors see a lot of use, so periodic maintenance can help improve their longevity. The grout sealing should be maintained periodically to avoid surface deterioration.
Here are some dos and don'ts to follow:
- Do dust and mop your floors frequently.
- Do clean with a mild detergent or suitable stone soap.
- Don't clean your natural stone floor with materials that contain vinegar, acids, or other corrosive substances.
- Don't mix bleach and ammonia to clean your floors as this combination produces toxic gas.
Since each stone is different, there are specific ways to care for them. Ask the friendly staff at BMI how to maintain your natural stone specifically.
What is an aluminum honeycomb panel, and where is it used? +
Aluminum honeycomb panel is a lightweight core material that is strong and rigid. This product has many technical uses and is primarily used in sandwich panels. A sandwich panel is a 3-layer structure mainly used to clad walls, floors, and roofs.
Aluminum honeycomb panels are lightweight, stiff, and fire/corrosion resistant. They are widely used in public transport, construction, and the boat building sector. Get in touch with us to learn more about this product.
Where can I find Italstone? +
Right here, at Better Marble Import. We are the exclusive sellers of Italstone in Ontario. Italstone slabs are unique and are a superb choice for your space. Get in touch with us to learn more.
Why choose BMI? +
There are many reasons why you should consider BMI:
- We ensure you’re getting the right quality-to-price ratio.
- With over 22 years of experience and deep knowledge in the stone industry, we are well-connected to top quarry owners and stone manufacturers around the world. This means we get the latest products at the best prices.
- Our exclusive showroom is over 12,000 sq. ft., with an extensive selection of products, including natural stone, porcelain, and quartz slabs. This allows you plenty of options.
- We promise unrivalled customer service and timely delivery.
- Flexibility is at the core of our values. We understand that each project has different needs. That’s why our team will help you to get the most value out of our stone products based on your budget.
- Our clients can pick their own block from the quarry and have it cut to size. Furthermore, we promise huge saving when you’re building a unique project.